2013

2013

Friday, April 3, 2009

Calling all Moms!


Ok people, I've only got 10 weeks left 'til this baby comes and I need some advice! There are a million and a half things to buy for babies and I just don't know which one or which color to get. I'm a terrible decision maker. So, I've got some questions. Feel free to answer them with your opinions, add any helpful tips or just leave a 'hey! what's up? you're cool..' note because those are always fun. :)


1. Should I buy the stroller 'travel system' OR the infant seat + the snap-n-go stroller?

2. Should I get a swing and a bouncy chair OR just one? But which one..?

3. Should I get a manual OR electric breast pump OR just scrap it altogether?

4. Are the boppy pillows really worth it? I'm quite curious.

5. Any other baby must-have's???


So come one, come all with your baby expertise. Heaven knows I (we) need all the advice I can get! :) Thanks a million!

10 comments:

Catherine said...

Okay this is my thoughts and you probably should listen to someone with more experience.

REgarding the "travel system" - I have the travel system I got it becuase I LOVED the stroller and I still love the stroller!!! Madilyn grew out of the infant carset at 5 months but was really nice for those five months. I would buy what YOU like. I got the travel system for teh stroller. It was the stroller I wanted!!!

I had the swing and it was great. I am a cheap sake and found a swing for really inexpensive. It was nice ot have so I could shower or make dinner or just have a break from holding my angel! Dont know about bouncy seats.

Um, regarding pumps dont know what to tell you sorry!!!! I am not the one to ask I jsut had problems all around!!!

I liked my bobby pillow. i used it a lot more when she was younger than now it just sits in a corner. I probably would not have needed it had it not been a gift.

For must haves we had a Johnny jumper that we loved many fun hours were had. Someone gave us a bumbo chair and we used that has a highchair for the first 9 months but I would get a highchair so much nicer!!! I will let you know if I think of anything else!

Howse Family said...

YES to the Boppy!! I use it ALL THE TIME. Or, you can just use a pillow to prop the baby while nursing, but I like laying them in the boppy to look around when they can't hold their head up yet. Anyway, I don't know about other moms but I HAVE to have a breast pump. This is the first time I didn't use the hospital one (i rented it, but it didn't work.) I have a manual one. I've tried electric ones, but they always end up running out of steam after a while. The manual one that I have that works great is the Avent one. LOVE IT! But, if you are like me, I would recommend renting the hospital one for the first week or so when your body is producing milk overtime. Then the manual is good after you start to regulate. I've used swings, and like them...bouncers are good too...those just depend on the baby. I bought a cheap stroller that held almost all carseats, since I was given the carseats. It was like $40. But, if you have to buy both, a travel system is probably cheaper, and you can use the stroller even after they outgrow the carseat. Hope that helps!! I'm soooo excited for yoU! You are getting so close!!

Ashley C said...

1. I would do the travel system. That's what I have and its nice. But lots of women realize that they don't end up using the stroller as often as they thought they would. (myself included)


2. I just got the bouncy chair and used it a lot. I never had a swing, but I have heard that they are awesome.

3. If you're gonna get a breast pump I would DEFINITELY get the electric kind. I've heard the manual ones are a real pain. I borrowed my sisters electric one for a long time and it worked well when I used it, but I did not end up using it much at all.

4. I think the boppy pillows are really nice and handy. They are not absolutely necessary (you could use a regular pillow), but I definitely used mine a lot. I got one for $2 at a garage sale.


5. Any other baby must-have's???

Tons of burp cloths and onesies. I always needed more burp cloths. I bought those little mittens for their hands so they dont scratch themselves, but the mittens fall off, so little socks work really well for that.

I would definitely use Craigslist a lot because there are so many baby things that people dont end up using much, and there are some awesome deals out there. I went to a really awesome neighborhood yard sale in Seattle before I had Paige and I found tons of great stuff. Good luck with everything!

smeltzer family said...

Yes to all of these! I didn't breast feed but my friend said the electric is much easier but more expensive ... so it depends on your budget as well.

Must haves ... cold rub! its like vicks vapor rub but for babies ... gosh it helped my son ... it's "little colds" I got a diaper genie because it really does hide the smell of diapers.

Make sure to take care of yourself too. I didn't know how much I would hurt for 3 weeks after my son was born ... get everything from pain meds to preperation h. :) love you!!!

Lizzy said...

I have opinions on toys and gear too . . . if you want it. As if I haven't said enough :) Email me if you have any more questions. thelizzard11@hotmail.com. btw Kurtis is my husband Jon's cousin, in case you don't know who the random girl who just wrote this book is :)

Ok, so I admit, my comments are all going to add up to a bit of expense . . . but you will use these things for subsequent children, and let me tell you what, when you have a newborn, you would pay any amount for that amazing two hour nap your baby just took because of that swing! It is SO SO SO worth it to invest in things that make your life easier . . . you will have enough going on to worry about $100 here and there. Sure, it sounds like a lot, but seriously, wouldn't it be worth it to work for one week to simplify your life? I promise you the answer is yes!

#1. Definitely the snap n go! I had the Kolcraft brand and love it, so whatever brand as long as it fits your car seat. It is so light and easy to use! It is also small which is a plus depending on what kind of car you have. The travel system strollers are so bulky and heavy that most moms I've talked to never even use it, or hate dealing with it when they do. Even if you only use the frame one for a few months, it is worth it, because when you switch to a full size stroller, you can be more picky with the features (lightweight, one hand fold, basket space, parent and kid trays) and not just be stuck with one because it matched the car seat. It is especially nice for travel on airplanes, because it has a huge basket underneath for while you are in the airport, and when you gate check it, you don't have to worry about it getting messed up, since it's so basic and relatively cheap. One less stress!

On a side note, I don't know if you've already bought your car seat and are set on it, but you can get car seats that last longer than a few months (well 20 lbs., so the timing depends on the size and growth of your baby), and I really recommend it! It may not be necessary if you have a tiny baby, but I say just in case, it's nice to be able to carry them in their seat when you need to for a long time! There are a few that are rated up to 30 lbs. So even my son who is WAY off the charts at 27.25 lbs at 9 months can still be in his (and I still use the frame stroller in the airport - it's awesome.) I have the Chicco Keyfit 30 (in extreme) which is super roomy and comfy, but I think a car seat is something you can go cheap on and not sacrifice anything but mainly comfort (which I was willing to pay extra for, but whatev, personal preference). I recommend that seat to anyone. However, I know Graco has a model rated up to 30 as well.

#2. BOTH!! I got the simplest, cheapest bouncy seat I could find ($26 at Target) and it is all you need! You can pay more for extras like music and exciting toys and lights, but the removable bar with 3 velcroed animals hanging on a bar where good enough for me! Plus, I feel like they get SO much stimulation, that a few simple things are good for them. But the pluses are you can just set it on the floor and bounce it with your foot while you do anything! And almost all babies love to be bounced! It was a life saver. We took it to our friends' houses, Sunday School, I'm telling you, it saves your back.

The swing I got was the Fisher Price Nature's Touch Papasan Cradle Swing. They have other varieties of this, but the idea is the papasan place where they lay and it can swing normal front to back or like a cradle, side to side. The side to side is more natural, and I think soothing. However, when he was done with one way, we would just switch it and he'd be good for another round!

#3. Double Electric Pump! If you pump, you can have Kurtis feed bottles (Dr. Brown's are the best btw) and for babysitters, there's always milk in the freezer. Plus, when you're out, it is so nice to be able to bring a bottle when it won't be easy to nurse (Best nursing covers have the stiff top so you can see in to your baby - I made mine, but I made my pattern from this http://www.bebeaulait.com/). Double electric is not necessary of course, but I LOVED being able to get 4 ounces (enough for 2 feedings when he was newborn) in 5 minutes. So simple and efficient. Everyone is different, but for me, I am still able to get a whole feeding in that amount of time (I may be on the fast end of that, you could get your OB's opinion of what's a normal expectation). You could still pump with a manual (which is very tiring on your hand) or cheaper electric, but I felt like my time was worth it to just strap in on and be done with it. I have the Medela Pump n Style Advanced backpack. They have an amazing reputation (this particular one is one step down from their hospital grade they make, but almost the same). It even comes with a battery pack for when you are in the car on car trip, you don't have to stop to feed them! I just pump under my cover and give him a bottle. Also, I love pumping because if I am gone all day for some reason, or even over one feeding, you will be so full you will want to get the milk out! So it is nice to use as a regulator too. Babies R Us often has coupons, that's what I used for my car seat and pump.

#4 Absolutely on the Boppy. I got mine and often see them at Marshall's and Ross for $20 including a cover btw. It has many uses. Get it and bring it to the hospital with you too! It is so nice for nursing, especially while they are small. It will save your arms and back and allow you to relax while nursing and have them at just the right height - pillows don't stay put and you have a lot of adjusting. Secondly, when you want to hold them and cuddle, your arms get tired. However, with the Boppy, you can set them on it and have your arms around them, but you can relax with them all close. I held Neal the whole time we were in the hospital on his, and later any time I wanted to snuggle for a long time, or when I wanted to hold him while he slept. It is so perfect to keep you comfortable while you are close. Especially if you want to to fall asleep too!

#5. A rocking recliner! I know the glider is all talked up and rockers are cheap, but especially when you are sore for a while after birth, but every time you nurse (which you spend a lot of time doing, especially at first) kicking your feet up and being comfortable is SO nice. I didn't get mine until Neal was 6 weeks old, and when I broke down and did, it changed my life :) My friend even has a very expensive glider, and the padding just is not that comfy and is getting weird after just 5 months. Sinking into a soft cushy place and putting your feet up and resting your arms on the cushions while you nurse, read books, and play with them is heaven! I say a rocking recliner, because you do want to be able to rock too. Look for one where the back goes higher than your head - surprisingly, some don't, and you will want to rest your head. I got mine at Sam's Club.

My friend has an exercies ball that you sits on while she bounces her baby . . . I will definitely get one next time, it's tiring to stand and bounce your baby. But I wouldn't say it's necessary, just a good option.

Some sort of baby carrier is nice, I love the Moby Wrap. It's so versatile and they can use it forever.

Swaddleme blankets. Velcro swaddle blankets, love them!

Like someone else said craigslist will be your best friend. That's where I got probably half my stuff. But since you don't have tons of time, look for sales and online coupons, and albeebaby.com has free shipping on orders over $100 I think.

I think that's it for now . . . hope I haven't bugged you by taking over your blog . . .

Jana said...

1. Never had either--sorry no help there
2. Little G wouldn't sit in a swing, but several people's children lived in them. But if you get one, find one that swings both front to back and side to side.

Loved my bouncy seat, that is how I showered, cooked, and did anything when I wasn't holding him

Try Craigslist for a swing? I found one for my sister there and it was well worth it.

3. I say electric--it's hard enough to get anything out of a breast pump no matter what. A baby sucks harder than even electricity--but it all depends on how often you're planning on using it. Are you planning to pump daily so Kurtis can feed the baby? Or just occasionally? That is the real question.

4. My sister gave me hers to borrow. I really liked using it in the early days of breastfeeding. You can use a pillow, but the boppy is engineered perfectly to aid you in this task. Breast feeding isn't the easiest or most natural thing to get the hang of.

I really recommend it, but it is bulky so maybe you can just borrow someone's for a couple of months?

5. Don't worry about highchairs or anything else right now. I'd just worry about the "essentials."

As for other accessories--in the early days, the wipe warmer came in VERY handy. Little G hated diaper changes and ESPECIALLY cold wipes, they're cheap only $20, it made all the difference for us.

Lansinoh breast pads were my favorite--I never used anything else, b/c they were thin, soft, and stayed in place.

What about nursing bras? Secured any of those yet? Get some for night time too! Leakage my friend, you will soon be a upright cow--ready to feed at any moment! Call me for any other questions--this comment can now be considered a book.

Kristina said...

Hi guys! Here is my advice from my experience. It really depends on your individual lifestyle and personality on a lot of things, but I hope some of this might be helpful. =) By the way, way to go for being so on top of things! I had my first baby 5 weeks early and was not very ready. Sounds like you guys will be!

1- If you get a travel system, don't get the cheapest one! I got a cheap Evenflo one the first time and the seat was crappy and the stroller broke after a year. The Graco ones rate really well, and are still inexpensive. I bought the Graco Mosaic stroller after my other one broke, and I LOVE it! It is pretty compact and still can hold the Graco Infant Seats, which I bought when I had Savanna. The Chicco ones rate really well, too, if you want to spend a little bit more money. Just make sure your carseat has a 5-point harness! I don't know if they even still sell the 3-point ones, but they're not as safe!

2-I also have the Papasan swing, and really liked it. If you can find a nice used one, that would be great, they're kind of pricey. I've never had a bouncer, but I've heard they're great!

3-If you're going to pump, definitely invest in the nice one! For sure! I've gotten away without using one, but if you're going to be away from your baby or having anyone else feed them, It will be worth it!

4-Boppy- yes. Get one. And USE IT every time you nurse! It will save your back!

5-In a few months I would get an exersaucer or jumperoo- they are great fun! Nursing covers are great, too. Also, I think the Pampers Newborn Swaddlers diapers are worth the extra money at first. They are SO soft, and don't leak as much!

Good luck you guys! Can't wait to see your cute little bundle!!!

Christy said...

Its been weeks since I blogged! But I adore the picture of the nervous baby! I may have to copy that.

Bronson Clan said...

1. The travel system was great for the first one, but I haven't used it since and actually ended up selling it.


2. Get a swing and a bouncy chair. Some babies won't do one or the other, but they are both awesome to have around. We keep our bouncy seat on our kitchen table and that's Celeste's chill spot.


3. I have used a manual and an electric pump, and actually prefer the manual. To be honest though, pumping SUCKS! I supplement with formula if I can't nurse somewhere. The only good the pump was for me was when I was producing too much milk and it alleviated pressure and pain.


4. I used the boppy pillow with the first two, and it really did help when you're trying to get the hang of it. I don't use one anymore just because I got comfortable nursing without it.


5. I LOVE the kiddopotamus snuzzler for the car seat. My babies are always so little it seems like they flop around everywhere in the carseat, but the snuzzler really snuggles them in there. Also, I'm a huge fan of binkis. One more must-have, a baby bjorn, or if you are more patient and don't mind taking more time to strap the baby to yourself, the moby wrap is excellent. Okay, I think that's all I can think of right now. Don't stress too much though, because if you find you need something else, you can just send your lovely husband to the store in the middle of the night to get it for you. :) Oh yeah, okay one more LIFE SAVER!!!! Lanolin. Seriously, it saved my nipples and my sanity. I am a HUGE fan.

Ashley and Nate said...

Yes to travel system. Yes to the swing AND the bouncy seat (you can get all this stuff USED - check Once upon a child and craigslist, etc). Get the electric pump. It's fast and awesome - 15 minutes and I'm done...but here's the secret: get a hands-free pumping bra. I loved the BUMBO Sitter Seat. Most of my experience come in the "sore nipples" category. I'll spare you that world for now - let me know and I can email you. Getting SO excited for you guys!!!!! What are we naming this baby?